- Honored as one of Scene in S.A. Magazines top Otolaryngologists for the last nine years.
- Appointed to the Rhinology and Paranasal Sinus committee of the American Academy of Otolaryngology in 2009. This committee is composed of sinus specialists who help make policy and advise the American Academy of Otolaryngology on sinus related issues.
- Consultant for Entellus Medical of Minneapolis, MN. a sinus balloon company bringing new sinus technologies to market.
- Consultant for Stryker medical on sinus technologies.
- Planning committee of the Foundation for Innovation, Education, and Research in Otolaryngology. This is a nationwide organization dedicated to promoting and education doctors on leading edge technology.
- These connections to industry and thought leaders in his field allows Dr. Atkins to stay “plugged-in” to the latest developments and what they can offer his patients.
Recent research and firsts:
- First use of FinESS, a balloon sinus surgery technique.
- First use of Xpress, a device for doing balloon sinus surgery.
- First use of a stapler for closing tissue after septoplasty.
- First use of MediENT to help prevent scarring after sinus surgery.
- First clinical use of Propel, a drug eluting stent for use after sinus surgery.
- Pioneered use of needleless anesthesia for office sinuplasty.
Recent medical publications/posters that Dr. Atkins helped author:
- Case Study: Mechanisms of Action for Balloon Dilation of the Ostiomeatal Unit (OMU) in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis
- Early BREATHE | Clinical Results from a Novel System to Treat the Ethmoidal Infundibulum
- The use of bioresorbable staples for mucoperichondrial flap coaptation in septoplasty
- Trans-Antral Balloon Dilation Under Local Anesthesia
- Transantral, endoscopically guided balloon dilatation of the ostiomeatal complex for chronic rhinosinusitis under local…
- One year results: Transantral balloon dilation of the ethmoid infundibulum
- Two-year results: Transantral balloon dilation of the ethmoid infundibulum.
- First clinic experience: patient selection and outcomes for ostial dilation for chronic rhinosinusitis.
- Impact of chronic rhinosinusitis on work productivity through one-year follow-up after balloon dilation of the ethmoid infundibulum
- In-office stand alone balloon dilation of the ethmoid infundibulum….
- Patient Comfort During Balloon Dilation Procedures in the Office
- Safety and outcomes following hybrid balloon and balloon-only procedures using a multifunction, multisinus balloon dilation tool.
I began my practice treating all types of ear, nose, and throat problems. I opened the Texas Sinus Center in 2000 with a specific goal in mind: to open a clinic that specializes in the sinuses. I realized that so many of my patients needed a more focused and experienced approach to their difficult sinus problems. I am very fortunate to have partnered with many of the companies that develop and bring to market the most innovative ENT technologies. These collaborations have kept me on the forefront of new technological breakthroughs and I have been the first in the region, the state, and even the country to adopt many new techniques. I am also very active in our various medical society meetings and continuing-education courses, both of which allow me to stay aware of new treatment options that might benefit my patients.
I find great satisfaction in helping patients that have been plagued with sinus problems for years and thought that they would just have to live with their symptoms. I believe I am uniquely qualified in South Texas to offer my patients the most current thinking in the world of rhinology, state-of-the-art diagnostic tools, and the least traumatic surgical options available. If you have sinus problems, I welcome your visit to the Texas Sinus Center.
- Fellow-American Rhinology Society
- Fellow-American Academy of Otolaryngology
- Kendall County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Planning committee for Foundation for Innovation, Education and Research in Otolaryngology